The movie, which will have Rajinikanth play the title role of Kabali, is expected to hit more than 5,000 screens worldwide.
Kabali, the name that is creating vibes among Tamil moviegoers and Rajinikanth fans across the globe, is slated to open on 15 July. While rumours about Rajinikanth’s health spread, a teaser for the chartbuster song Neruppu Da released two weeks ago is nearing 7 million views. As Rajinikanth walks into the frame of this teaser against the blaring siren and the strumming of electric guitar, Kabali spreads the superstar or Thalaivar aura for all the raving fans. And before you watch it for the nth time, Mint brings you 10 things you should know about Thalaivar’s Kabali.
1. Kabali’s teaser which garnered more than 1 million views within an hour of its release on 1 May has over 23 million views on YouTube.
2. The audio became the top selling album on iTunes on the same day of its launch on 11 June and the top track from the album, Neruppu Da, is about to touch 8 million views on YouTube. The soundtrack is also available on online streaming platforms—doopaadoo, Saavn, Hungama and Wynk, among others.
3. Think Music which bagged the audio rights for Kabali is on hat-trick collaboration with the director Pa. Ranjith as well as producer Kallaippuli S. Thanu’s V Creations. While,Kabali marks the tenth album of the label for music composer Santhosh Narayanan, it is Think Music’s second collaboration for a Rajinikanth movie after Enthiran, which released in 2010.
4. Kabali will be the first Indian movie to be released in Malay. It will also be released in Telugu, Hindi and Japanese and will get a Chinese release in a couple of months. Rajinikanth has a huge fan following across the globe, especially in Japan after his 1996 movie Muthu, which was a massive hit after being dubbed in Japanese in 1998.
5. The movie, which will have Rajinikanth play the title role of Kabali alongside Radhika Apte as his wife Kumudhavalli, is expected to hit more than 5,000 screens worldwide. While Winston Chao from Taiwan will play the villain and Dhanshika will be seen as Rajini’s daughter, Riythvika, whose performance in Madras received appreciation, is expected to bring a surprise element. Her role in Kabali is being maintained as a secret till now.
6. Kabali will be the 159th film for Rajinikanth, who began his acting journey in 1975 through K. Balachandar’sApoorva Raagangal. According to the director Pa. Ranjith, the younger Kabali in the movie will have shades of Rajini in the 1980s, especially from Mullum Mallarum. In fact, Ranjith had initially thought about Kaali, the role played by Rajini in Mullum Mallarum as a title for this movie.
7. After more than a gap of 20 years, the audience will see the superstar essay the role of a don. Rajini who will play a ‘Malaysian don’ in the upcoming flick essayed the role of a Bombay-based don in the 1995 Baasha, a movie that is claimed to have taken Rajini to the demigod status.
8. Shooting for Kabali began in Chennai last August. It was also shot in Malaysia, Thailand, Bangkok and Hong Kong for over 100 days. The superstar, sporting his original beard for the first time on screen, shot for 75 days in his white beard.
9. Kabali will be director Pa. Ranjith’s third outing after his critically acclaimed and commercially successful Attakathiand Madras. Ranjith, who has retained his Madras crew, has set his standards and there is nothing short of a soaring expectation.
10. Ranjith, who subtly conveyed Dalit politics in Madrashas said that Kabali is a character of a revolutionary who fights for people. Of course, that is obvious from the lyrics of the Ulagam Oruvanukka, Veera Thuradhara and Neruppu Da, and the “Kabali Da” dialogue in the teaser.